Need legal help?

EDO lawyers provide up to 15 minutes of free legal advice on certain planning and environmental law matters. We have also developed a series of fact sheets and guidance documents that may assist you with your issue, which can be found here.

It is important you get in touch early to ensure your matter can be dealt with in time.

You can request help by emailing us at [email protected]. When you contact us, please provide:

  • your Name
  • your Address
  • your DOB
  • the name and address of other parties to the issue (if applicable). For example, if you are concerned about a development, the name of the developer.
  • a short description of your issue

Once we receive your inquiry, our intake solicitor will contact you. If we can assist, your matter will be allocated to a solicitor who will contact you to provide advice. 

Where we cannot give you any advice, we will try to provide you with information or refer you to another organisation or body that may be able to assist you with your issue.

Important things to note

  1. We prioritise vulnerable clients

We receive a high volume of requests for advice and have limited resources. As such, we prioritise vulnerable clients including people that identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, people experiencing financial disadvantage, people younger than 24 and older than 65 and people who reside in outer regional or remote areas of Australia.

  1. The service is national

The National Intake Service is accessible to people in any State or Territory in Australia. If you are calling from outside Australia, please be aware that the service may not be able to help with your issue.

  1. Advising groups

If you are part of a community group, you will need to elect a representative to seek and receive advice on behalf of the group.

We do not usually provide advice to law firms or companies.

  1. Seeking advice on behalf of someone else

Advice can generally only be provided to the person it relates to. If you are seeking advice on behalf of someone else, we will need their written permission before providing it.

  1. Things we do not advise on

There are a range of issues that, although they relate to the environment, are outside the scope of what EDO can assist with. These include neighbourhood disputes (including tree and fence disputes), aerial spraying of chemicals and development application queries that are private in nature.

If you need to get in touch with a specific office in relation to something other than a request for legal assistance, please find the contact details below.


Flinders University City Campus

Level 1, 182 Victoria Square,
Adelaide SA 5000

Postal Address: GPO Box 170 Adelaide, SA 5001

Freecall: 1800 337 566Telephone: (08) 8359 2222

Email: [email protected]


8/205 Montague Rd,

West End Qld 4101

Telephone: (07) 3211 4466

Email: [email protected]


Room 3, Serbian Cultural Centre,

67 Greenslopes St, Edge Hill, Cairns QLD 4870

Postal Address: PO Box 656N, North Cairns QLD 4870

Telephone: (07) 4028 3739

Email: [email protected]


Email: [email protected]


2/98 Woods Street, Darwin NT 0800

Postal Address: GPO Box 4289, Darwin NT 0801

Freecall: 1800 635 944

Telephone: (08) 8981 5883

[email protected]


131 Macquarie Street, Hobart TAS 7000

Telephone: (03) 6223 2770

Email: [email protected]

All Hobart staff are working from home effective 15 March 2020 to do our part on COVID-19. We ask that you contact us by email, as the office phone will only intermittently be checked.


18/2 Delhi Street, West Perth, WA 6005

Telephone: (08) 9420 7271 

Fax: (08) 9221 3070

[email protected]


Level 5, 263 Clarence Street, Sydney NSW 2000

Email: [email protected]

For Legal Help Email: [email protected]

Telephone: (02) 9262 6989

Fax: (02) 9264 2414

EDO recognises the traditional owners and custodians of the land, seas and rivers of Australia. We pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander elders past and present, and aspire to learn from traditional knowledge and customs so that, together, we can protect our environment and cultural heritage through law.