The Department of Justice and Community Safety has a number of volunteer opportunities for people who want to help in Victoria's court, legal and prison systems.
Volunteering is an interesting, satisfying and fun way for people to become involved in their community. You can offer your services in a number of ways – formal or informal, full-time or part-time, occasional or even one-off. There are volunteer opportunities available across a range of sectors – such as emergency services, education, social justice, heritage and culture, and sport and recreation.
Volunteer opportunities in the department
There are a number of ways in which you can volunteer your services:
- Trained volunteers provide emotional support and information about the court process to people going to court.
- This service is available onsite in the Supreme, County, Coroner's, Family, Children's and Melbourne and regional Magistrates' Courts.
Independent Prisoner Visitor Scheme (External link)
- Volunteers provide the Minister for Corrections with independent advice on prison operations from the perspective of an independent, community observer.
- The position requires the observation of prison routines, positive initiatives or concerns raised by prisoners, staff and visitors, in particular issues relating to prison management and operation.
Justices of the Peace and bail justices
- Justices of the Peace provide document witnessing and certification services to the community both during and outside business hours.
- Bail justices primarily work outside business hours and on weekends to conduct hearings in relation to applications for bail or remand, and applications for interim accommodation orders relating to children.
Office of the Public Advocate (External link)
- Office of the Public Advocate aims to promote and protect the rights and dignity of people with disabilities.
- Community Visitors Program volunteers visit Victorian accommodation facilities for people with a disability or mental illness to monitor and report on the adequacy of services provided.
- Volunteers in the Independent Third Person Program assist people with a cognitive disability or mental illness during Police interviews.
- Community Guardian Program volunteers act as independent guardians for Victorians with a disability who cannot make decisions for themselves. They help people make personal and lifestyle decisions in their best interests.
Country Fire Authority (CFA) (External link)
- CFA volunteers respond to a range of incidents, including firefighting, road accidents, industrial rescues, flood relief and chemical spills.
Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) (External link)
- SES is the control agency for flood, storm, tsunami and earthquake in Victoria and the largest provider of road crash rescue services in the state. Volunteers also assist Victoria Police in search and rescue operations and play an important support role during major bushfires.
St John Ambulance (External link)
- Volunteers provide 12 to 24 days of annual first aid assistance by attending events and training to protect the Victorian community.
Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Association (External link)
- The organisation composed entirely of volunteers, to promote safety in the operation of small craft through education, example and examination. The volunteers also lead marine search and rescue operations in an emergency.
Life Saving Victoria (External link)
- The clubs provide volunteer beach patrols at more than 50 Victorian beaches on weekends and public holidays during summer.
There are a number of key volunteer organisations involved in emergency management and response. For more information, visit the Victoria's Volunteering Portal - Become an emergency services volunteer (External link)
Other volunteer opportunities
Victoria's Volunteering Portal (External link)
- This portal is an online community and resource for Victorian volunteers and volunteering organisations.
- In addition to the opportunities listed above, you can find a volunteer opportunity (External link) from a diverse range of interest areas, locations and availability via the portal.