Status Resolution Support Services payment (SRSS)

A regular payment to help with basic living costs while you’re waiting to hear about your immigration status.

Eligibility basics

Read about eligibility on the Department of Home Affairs website.


We’ll pay you the SRSS payment on behalf of the Department of Home Affairs. It will include the SRSS Living Allowance to help you with basic living expenses while you resolve your immigration status.

Depending on your circumstances, the Department of Home Affairs may decide we can also pay you:

  • a rent allowance
  • an allowance for dependent children

If you’re granted a Bridging Visa you can get help with health care costs through Medicare.

While you get this payment, you can’t get other payments or services from us.


Step 1 - talk to a SRSS service provider

Contact a SRSS service provider in your state or territory. They’ll help you apply for the SSRS payment.

Read about SRSS service providers on the Department of Home Affairs website.

If the Department of Home Affairs accepts your application, go to step 2.

Step 2 - fill in our form

Fill in the Claim for Status Resolution Support Services form. You can also use this form to enrol in Medicare.

The form will ask for documents to prove things like your income and rent. Bring these with you when you submit your form.

Step 3 - submit the form and show your ID

Take your form and any documents it asks for to a service centre. You’ll also need to prove your identity. You can prove your identity by showing us your ImmiCard or your passport.


Prove your identity by showing us your ImmiCard or ImmiCard Report, and either a:

  • Bridging Visa E grant letter
  • visa grant notification letter, or
  • Residence Determination letter


Prove your identity by showing us your current or expired passport. This must be the one that you arrived in Australia on with your valid Australian visa.

If you don’t have any of these documents to prove your identity, talk to your SRSS service provider.

Change of circumstances

You need to tell us quickly if there’s any change to any of the details you gave us.

For example, we need to know about changes to your:

  • home address
  • phone number
  • income
  • visa status

These kinds of changes can affect your payment.

Read about change of circumstances.

Someone to deal with us for you

You can appoint someone else to talk to us about your payment. But we need your approval before we can give them your information.

To do this, complete the Status Resolution Support Services Payment authorising a person or organisation to enquire on your behalf form.

Help in your language

If you don’t speak English you can get help from us in your language.


For help with Centrelink enquiries over the phone in your language, call the multilingual phone service. The first voice that answers will ask which language you want. Say SRSS twice instead of naming your language.

We also have multicultural service officers who can help you with payments and services.


For help with Medicare enquiries over the phone in your language, call the Translating and Interpreting Service.

Page last updated: 7 June 2018