Skip to main content Skip to home page

Applying to get your licence back

If your driver’s licence has been cancelled, an application to the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria or VicRoads may need to be made be to get it back.    

For screen reader users on mobile, if you are using a keyboard: type in the input field, then switch to Quick nav and move below the input field to access results. A result has to be clicked twice in order to submit the search. If you are not using a keyboard: type in the input field, then tap at the top of the screen and navigate down to the results below the input field. A result has to be clicked twice in order to submit the search.

Go to the VicRoads website if:

  • your offence was committed after 29 April 2018
  • you were caught drink driving after 30 September 2014 and:
    • it was your first drink driving offence; and 
    • you were a fully licensed driver; and
    • your Blood Alcohol Concentration was less than 0.10. 

If you need to apply to the Magistrates’ Court to get your licence back, the relevant order is called a licence eligibility order. 

You may need to make a licence eligibility order application if you lost your driver’s licence due to:

  • a drink driving offence
  • a drug driving offence
  • a combined drink and drug driving offence
  • a serious motor vehicle offence
  • an offence of dangerous or negligently driving while pursued by police
  • an offence of theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle
  • a disqualification under s89A of the Sentencing Act 1991. 

To find out what you need to do to get your driver’s licence back, complete the Licence Eligibility Order Guide


This is not a full list of legislation associated with this topic. See the Victorian Government's legislation website for more information.

Q. Can I apply for a licence eligibility order hearing before my disqualification period has ended?


Yes, but the Magistrates' Court must set the hearing date at least 28 days after the application is lodged and not before the licence disqualification period has ended. 

Last updated on 13 Dec 2018