Information about fine amounts, payment and disputes.

A notice to pay a fine is called an infringement notice. Infringement notices include:

  • traffic infringement notices
  • parking infringement notices
  • Linkt and EastLink toll notices.

Infringement notices can be:

  • mailed to you (normally within 2 weeks)
  • handed to you
  • attached to the windscreen of your vehicle.

You should read the infringement notice carefully when you receive it. If you don't understand the information on the infringement notice or have any questions about it you should contact the organisation or agency that gave you the infringement notice. Contact information will be included on the notice. 

If you get an infringement from a road safety camera (speed or red light camera) you should also make sure you were the person driving at the time of the offence. If you were not the driver you must nominate the person who was driving. Do this as soon as you get the notice. VicRoads cannot change the nominated person on an infringement notice, this is a matter for police or the court.  

Notices can be issued by a range of authorised organisations including Victoria Police, local councils and VicRoads. 

If you wish to dispute an infringement notice it is a good idea to seek legal advice.

The infringement notice will tell you the due date for the fine. If you wish to pay your traffic infringement or find out more Fines Victoria has some helpful information.  

For parking infringements go to the website of the issuing council to find out how to pay or dispute the fine. 

Fine amounts

Fines are set and revised by legislation and are described as penalty units within the legislation. For example, offence code 8336, fail to stop at a children’s crossing has an infringement penalty of  2.5 penalty units or $403. 

The value of a penalty unit is currently $161.19

If you want to know the fine amount for any particular offence you can download the fine and penalties documents below and search for the offence. A quick way to search if right click on the document select find and then type in a key word, for example phone. If you have the offence code you can search for that by using find.

fines and penalties [PDF 228 Kb, 18 pp]

fees and charges [PDF 129 Kb, 3 pp]

Visit Department of Treasury and Finance website for links to other fees and penalty lists from other Government departments. 

In some cases you can ask for an official warning on some traffic fines.Victoria  Police has information on this. 

Linkt and EastLink toll notices

You need to pay tolls or fees if you want to use a Tollway, such as Linkt or EastLink.

If you drive on a Tollway and haven't paid the tolls you could receive an invoice or an infringement notice. These are usually sent to you in the mail.

All questions and payments for fines should be made with the relevant Tollway operator.

Outstanding fines

If you wish to check for outstanding fines you can check here as long as you have a notice.

If you are unsure about the details of any outstanding fines you can contact Fines Victoria

Road Safety Cameras

If you want information on the road safety camera system go to this website

Road Safety Camera Commissioner 

The Road Safety Camera Commissioner provides Victorian motorists with ongoing support in regard to the State’s road safety camera system and provides an alternative avenue for complaints and quality assurance.


Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...