Powers of attorney

Powers of attorney

Powers of attorney are legal documents that allow you to choose who will make decisions about financial and personal matters, if you are not able to make these decisions yourself.

At some time in your life you may be faced with changes – such as an accident or illness – that might take away your capacity to make your own decisions about things like:

  • where you live
  • how you spend your money
  • how your health care and medical treatment are managed.

If you don’t have a power of attorney:

  • you may not be able to choose who should make decisions on your behalf
  • it could lead to conflict over who should take charge of the decision-making process if you are unable to do this yourself
  • the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal may be asked to appoint an administrator or guardian to help you.

Changes to the law

Powers of attorney in Victoria changed on 1 September 2015. For more information about these changes see the Department of Justice and Regulation website.

Making powers of attorney

The Office of the Public Advocate website has information to help you make powers of attorney.

You can also download the forms to appoint or revoke an enduring power of attorney from the Publications and forms section of their website.

From 1 September 2015, powers of attorney appointments must be made using these new forms.

Enduring powers of attorney made before 1 September 2015 remain valid.

You can also order or download Take Control: A guide for making enduring powers of attorney. This publication also includes appointment forms.

Get help

Office of the Public Advocate

The Office of the Public Advocate Advice Service provides information, advice and assistance about enduring powers of attorney. The service is available during business hours and also accepts emergency enquiries at any time.

Legal services

Call Victoria Legal Aid for free information about the law and how we can help you on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. If you need an interpreter let us know.

Your local community legal centre can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

Seniors Rights Victoria provides information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people.

Was this helpful?